Why prepay for your funeral?
One of the most thoughtful and responsible gifts that you can give your family is to make your funeral arrangements in advance. Without a proper plan in place, your loved ones will be left having to second guess what you would have wanted. By preplanning, you’ll be alleviating the burden and stress that your family faces when you pass away; they will be able to focus on what is important, celebrating you.
Making your final wishes known and prepaying for your funeral is an important step. It provides two important advantages. First, you eliminate the burden of your family having to pay for and plan your final celebration. Secondly, funding your funeral offers protection from inflation by allowing you to lock in today’s prices.
Important considerations when preplanning
- Be informed about your options: prearranging allows you to calmly and thoughtfully consider what is important to you.
- Record your wishes: recording your wishes in writing and sharing them with your family allows for your final wishes to be carried out.
- Visit the funeral home and meet the staff: you should feel comfortable with the personnel that will be carrying out your final wishes.
- If you choose cremation, understand your options: the funeral home should offer a range of cremation service options and explain the cremation process so that you understand the steps and costs involved.
- Ask about price: funeral homes are required by law to provide you with a clear, itemized list of prices for merchandise and services offered.
- Consider the funeral home’s reputation: select a funeral home in your community that has a good reputation.
- Make sure your funds are secured: ask the funeral director how the funds are invested.
- Flexibility: make sure your plan is flexible enough to allow alterations; ask if the plan can be transferred to another state if you move.